(34km from Ragusa; 7640 inhabitants; 199m a.s.l.; zip code 97011;
area code 0932) is set on a plateau in the Dirillo Valley. The city
is surrounded by a vast flat agricultural area. Its main square,
Piazza Libertà, accommodates the most important monuments,
notably the Chiesa Madre and the Castello. The city is laid out
on an orthogonal plan. About thirteen kilometres away is the seaside
village of Macconi, deriving its name from the sandy dunes typical
of the shore running from Scoglitti to the Dirillo – or Acate
– river’s mouth.
finds discovered at the area provide evidence for the prehistoric
roots of Acate and the presence here, in succession, of the Sikels,
the Romans and the Byzantines. A village named Odogrillo –
its name deriving from the Dirillo river – developed during
the Arabian rule; but only few specimens are held from that age.
The earliest information on Odogrillo goes back to 1278, at the
time of Charles of Anjou. The hamlet was later assimilated into
the County of Modica dominions, under the Chiaramontes’ rule,
successively abandoned because of its scarce population and its
mostly marshy grounds. Another hamlet, Biscari, had been growing
nearby – to reach town dimensions in the 15th century –
under the rule of the Castellos, a local aristocratic family. Ignazio
Paternò Castello was proclaimed Prince of the town by the
Count of Modica in the early 18th century, following the devastating
1693’s earthquake. The town’s current name was adopted
since 1938 due to the initiative of local historian Carlo Addario;
it derives from Achates, that is the Roman name of the Dirillo river.
tour of Acate begin in the central Piazza Libertà, with the
Chiesa Madre and the Castello, the city’s major buildings.
The church, reconstructed after the 1693’s and 1846’s
earthquakes, retains few of its original structure, notably the
arches of the chorus’ vault and sections of the apse and the
transept. The castle of the Biscari princes, presently in a miserable
condition, was built in 1494, restored in the 18th century and successively
abandoned. Only the prisons, inside, were somehow preserved. The
three-naves’ Chiesa di San Vincenzo, near the Piazza, contains
the relics of the Saint and numerous precious stuccoes. San Vincenzo,
patron saint of Acate, is celebrated with an annual feast and a
Palio (a horserace) in the streets of the town.
is primarily an agricultural city, thanks to its flat and, after
intense reclamations, fertile lands. It is a major producer and
exporter of wine, olive oil, citrus fruit and related products.
The hothouse cultivation is outstanding. Industry and commerce are
both scarcely developed except for farming-related businesses.
Castello di Donnafugata Camarina
Marina di Modica
Marina di Ragusa
Scivoletto e Michelin Italia. Le foto sono di proprietà
dei rispettivi autori. Ogni riproduzione non autorizzata verrà
perseguita a norma di legge.
- buy on line
Guide of Sicily
italiano | in