(34km from Ragusa; 3500 inhabitants; 520m a.s.l.; zip code 97019;
area code 0932) is the smallest and the least populated city in
the province of Ragusa and stretches between the Iblean mountains
and flat lands. It is bathed by the Irminio River flowing from the
Lauro Mount. An artificial dam built along the course of the river,
about 10km from Giarratana, has played a major role in both the
city’s agriculture and tourism, since it has given life to
a magnificent lake and landscape.
has ancient roots. Before the 1693’s earthquake it stood on
a different site called Terravecchia. Prehistoric settlements were
discovered in its surroundings, such as Scalona (2000 BC) and the
more recent Donna Scala, thought to have been populated by Sikel
tribes. Another ancient settlement, named Monte Casale, on the Lauro
mount, is believed to have been the site of Kasmenai, a mysterious
town and the military outpost that the Greek-Syracusans founded
in the Southern reaches of their Sicilian dominions. The earliest
record about Giarratana dates from the Norman occupation, when it
was ruled by Goffredo “The Norman”, the Count of Ragusa.
Other sources hold that during the Swabian rule, in 1195, Henry
VI, King of Sicily, granted the town to Rinaldo Acquaviva, and that
during Aragon’s reign, a certain Gualtiero from Caltagirone
was proclaimed Lord of the city.
was then assimilated into County of Modica, and later sold, first
to Guglielmo and Nicolò Casasegia, then to Simonetto Settimo,
in 1454, whose family ruled the city for a longtime. On 11 January
1693 Giarratana was razed to the ground by an earthquake. The municipality
board decided to rebuilt the city on a close, sunnier site, a hill
referred to as the Poju di li ‘ddisi, where it eventually
grew. From that time, Giarratana shared its destiny with the entire
economy is mostly agricultural; legumes, olive oil, cereals, almond
are the major outputs. The onion, here bigger and whiter than everywhere,
deserves a special mention. This is, in fact, celebrated with a
well-known and busy festival, held annually on August 14, where
people can enjoy onion-related specialties.
tour mainly concerns with the religious buildings of Giarratana.
The 13th century Chiesa di San Bartolomeo is a fine Baroque building
with nave and aisles ornamented with beautiful stuccoes and frescoes.
Scenes of the Old Testament, dated 1836, adorn the nave. The Chiesa
di San Antonio Abate, rebuilt in 1748, with semi-columns and pilaster
strips, contains impressive stuccoes and statues, like the Madonna
della Neve, the patron saint of the town. The Mother Church has
a late-Renaissance façade and thickest perimetrical walls.
It hosts important pieces of art, like the Pala dell’Annunziata,
dated 1790, the Anime Purganti, the statue of San Giuseppe and a
wooden Saint Barthelemew, unearthed in the ancient city. Ruins of
the old Castle are situated in the upper side of the town.
Giarratana and Palazzolo Acreide, along the road climbing up the
Lauro mount, stands the ancient Greek-Syracusan Colony of Casmene,
(644 b.C.) successively declined and abandoned. The hamlet of San
Giacomo, in proximity to the city, is notably known for the so-called
Masseria Torre di San Giacomo, working as both a farm and restaurant,
where people can enjoy delicious home-made food and wine.
Castello di Donnafugata Camarina
Marina di Modica
Marina di Ragusa
Scivoletto e Michelin Italia. Le foto sono di proprietà
dei rispettivi autori. Ogni riproduzione non autorizzata verrà
perseguita a norma di legge.
- buy on line
Guide of Sicily
italiano | in