(25km from Ragusa; 60000 inhabitants; 168m a.s.l.; zip code 97019;
area code 0932) can be reached through an amazing road making its
way past beautiful vines and old water-mills. It is the youngest
city of the Ragusa province as clearly shows its modern orthogonal
city, founded on 24 April 1607 in honour of the Countess Vittoria
Colonna, stands on one of the largest plains in Sicily, known in
ancient times as the Plaga Mesopotamica Sicula (Mesopotamia of Sicily),
it also bathed by two rivers, the Dirillo and the Ippari.
site of what is now Vittoria, however, has ancient roots, having
been settled since Antiquity, by Early Christian and, then, Byzantine
peoples. In the 17th century the whole area belonged to the Count
of Modica Luigi III Henriquez Cabrera who married Vittoria Colonna.
Upon his death, one of Vittoria’s personnel counsellors, a
certain Ippolito Richetti, suggested the construction of a trading
post in the area known as the Costa degli scoglitti (Little rocks’
Countess, who had both economical and political reasons to found
a new village, appointed Paolo La Restia to explore the territory
of Boscopiano (to-day’s Vittoria). He chose the area known
as the Grotte Alte (High Grottos) as a best site for the new settlement,
it being far enough from sea, but quite rich in water. Peasants
willing to move in the newly-born village were granted grounds and
privileges while criminals and debtors were promised amnesty.
earthquake in 1693, destroying all the South-Eastern Sicily, did
not provoked too damages here, excepted for collapses of the Castle
and the Mother Church, where, forty children, there attending catechism,
unfortunately, died. To-day’s Vittoria has achieved a remarkable
importance, notably economic, also thanks to its people, keen on
improving their city as best as they can.
an economic point of view, Vittoria is likely the most prosperous
town in the province of Ragusa, and among the wealthiest in all
Sicily. The farming activities have taken advantage of the flat
and fertile grounds of the area. Intensive, modern cultivation and
the presence of an outstanding agricultural market have enormously
contributed to the marketing of the products. The construction of
a larger market has been now planned. Particularly important is
the output of grape and must, used to produce the celebrated Cerasuolo
di Vittoria and Villa Fontane wines. The flowers output is as much
noteworthy, Vittoria being a major International exporter. Of recent,
industry has also seen a notable development.
tour begins with the central Piazza del Popolo, where are the Chiesa
della Madonna delle Grazie, dated 1754, and the Neoclassic Theatre.
The latter has a beautiful façade on two tiers of columns.
Inside, it has three orders of boxes, and a golden gallery decorated
church has a baroque look, designed after Ragusa’s and Modica’s
San Giorgio’s style. Inside it is simple but elegant, with
fine altars and wooden sculptures. On Piazza Ferdinando Ricca rises
the Chiesa di San Giovanni il Battista (Saint John the Baptist),
with an impressive front elevation on three orders; inside, it has
three naves ornamented with fine stuccoes, marbles and gildings.
Castello di Donnafugata Camarina
Marina di Modica
Marina di Ragusa
Scivoletto e Michelin Italia. Le foto sono di proprietà
dei rispettivi autori. Ogni riproduzione non autorizzata verrà
perseguita a norma di legge.
- buy on line
Guide of Sicily
italiano | in